Here is a section from my October newsletter. (Read full newsletter.)
Val’s 5-Step Process for Letting Go
(DRTLC, as in Dr. TLC)
1. Develop awareness in the present (notice what thoughts are happening, where you’re feeling physical sensations, triggers), and acknowledge what’s going on.
2. Remind yourself that you’re safe and ok (unless you’re actually in a life-threatening situation), and that worry and negative thoughts are NOT helpful right now.
3. Take 2-3 deep breaths with hand on belly to feel it expand on inhalation and relax on exhalation. Inhale what you want more of, exhale what you want to let go of (maybe repeat a mantra, such as C-A-L-M, R-E-L-A-X, or L-E-T… I-T… G-O on each exhale) If you need a break, go for a short walk, get a drink of water, listen to music – give yourself the TLC you need.
4. List options for what you can realistically do now to handle current problem or situation.
5. Choose one, do it, and move on. If the first one doesn’t work, repeat steps 1-5 until you find one that works.
There are so many possible things to work on when it comes to letting go: the past, fears of others’ judgments, self doubt or criticism, hopes or expectations for the future, unhealthy relationships, habits, beliefs, the list goes on.
However, each day and each moment offers us a chance to see new opportunities, make different choices, put the past behind us, and take actions that will serve us in more positive ways.
“By letting it go, it all gets done. The world is won by those who let it go. But when you try and try. The world is beyond the winning.” – Lao Tzu
“Let go of the past… and the past will let go of you.”